The HCL Refurbishment continues and the work is producing some considerable noise. Some walls are being knocked down, concrete pillars in the upper stacks are being removed, and the creation of the large hole to take the new central staircase is underway!
The windows are also being replaced so affected areas will be temporarily out of bounds to enable this work to proceed. The disruption will all be worth it in the long run when we have the new study areas on the upper floors that will considerably increase the student study capacity of the building plus a completely redesigned ground floor and entrance area.
The Library remains open from 8.30 am to 6.00 pm, Monday to Friday, with access via the side entrance between the Library and the Sherrington Building. Here is the current status, and for more information plus some photographs of the ongoing work see HCL Refurbishment:
1. Temporary Help Desk: HCC2
2. Book Issue & Return: HCC2
3. Book Stacks 1 - 6: OPEN
4. Stack 6 : PARTIALLY CLOSED FOR WINDOW REPLACEMENT AND A STAFF RETRIEVAL SYSTEM FOR BOOKS IN THE AFFECTED AREA IS CURRENTLY IN OPERATION
5. Silent Study: OPEN (access via HCC3)
6. Quiet Study: TEMPORARILY CLOSED FROM 22ND JULY
7. Refreshment & Group Study: OPEN (access via Stack Floor 3)
8. PC Centres 1-4, 7-8 OPEN (5-6 CLOSED)
9. Group Study: CLOSED
10. Wolfson: CLOSED
11. Lobby & Reception: CLOSED
12. Ground & 1st Floor Service Desks: CLOSED
13. Toilets : Gents - Stack Floor 5, Ladies - Basement & Stack Floor 6.