What is it?
Essentially two databases, ProQuest Dissertations &Theses (PQDT)
& ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: UK & Ireland.
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: UK & Ireland is the most comprehensive available record of doctoral theses from the United Kingdom and Ireland. The collection offers the most comprehensive available listing of theses, with abstracts accepted for higher degrees by universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland, since 1716
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT) is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses from around the world, spanning from 1861 to the present day and offering full text for most of the dissertations added since 1997.
Why use it?
- Find what research has been done in your area (historical)
- See what the current research topics are in your area – find gaps to exploit or case studies to explore further
- Get ideas for your dissertation
- Get ideas on layout
- Get ideas on how to construct an abstract
- Get the full text of a dissertation relevant to your research
Even just looking at the contents pages can spark ideas and provide direction for your research.