The Library has a trial of RefWorks until 30th November 2006. RefWorks is a web-based bibliographic software tool (cf Endnote or Reference Manager).
To access this trial go to http://www.refworks.com/refworks.
At your first visit, you must create an account name and password. Click on ‘Sign up for an Individual Account’. We recommend that you use your University email address in the registration form.
Then choose the type or user and area of interest (we could modify the choices here if we started a subscription to RefWorks). You are then ready to start putting references into RefWorks.
You can do this
- via the direct links from resources like CSA Illumina, Scopus, Ebsco, Porquest, Ovid...
- entering manually references (in the menu bar choose 'References/add new references')
- searching an online catalogue (in the menu bar choose 'Search/online Catalogue or database/ select a resource from the drop down list - Library of Congress for example - do a quick search and in the results window click on those references you want to export into your own personal RefWorks database and hit 'import')
- setting up a RSS feed import (in the menu bar choose 'Search/RSS feed/ and enter the feed URL)
For subsequent logons, simply enter your log-in name and password to connect to your personal RefWorks database.
Off-campus, follow the steps above and you will then be prompted for our Institutional code.
RefShare is the sharing module allowing collaborative work between different institutions on different geographic sites. Our account has a RefShare web page where we can
- post bibliographies of interest to all
- post reading lists for students or for collaborative research projects
- post lists like alerts on hot topics of interest to your Institution
RefWorks staff have created a demo list - one with some articles relating to University of Liverpool. To see these lists from within RefWorks, go to the tool bar View/RefWorks Shared Area and you will open an URL - click on the hyperlinks to see the bibliographies.
Currently, everyone can post their bibliographies to the RefShare page (in the menu bar Folders/Share folders and click on 'share folder', complete the details and then at the bottom click on 'include in shared area and choose which category or simply send your bibliography via email by clicking on the 'Email URL' button top right.
We suggest you read the following online Help pages in RefWorks:
Getting started with RefWorks
Getting started with RefShare
Quick Start Guide
After using RefWorks please leave a comment below